Viro-Con: Modular Robot Configuration Tool
SCHUNK GmbH & Co. KG contracted the development of the Viro-Con product configurator for sales and marketing purposes. It easily and quickly configures custom robotic systems from an extensive range of mechatronic components and exports parts lists, image material and other data relevant to quotations. What is more, it can immediately test such robotic systems virtually.
The following test functions are available:
- Manipulation of the robotic system’s axis or TCP
- Capability to execute specified tasks
- Animation with TCP movement on linear or time-optimal paths
- Computation and visualization of operating ranges
- Detection of collisions with itself and with objects in its environment
The key feature in the background is a flexible inverse coordinate transformation system automatically generated from the components employed. All of the computations necessary for the aforementioned functions have been optimized so that a sales staffer’s laptop furnishes sufficient performance reserves.
- Selecting a mechatronic component from the library
The configurator has been in use and demonstrating its merits for over a year:
- Significantly faster configuration of customized solutions
- Immediate and clear presentation and testing options
- Enhanced decision-making support
Ongoing refinements are aimed at supporting the design of motors and gear units.